The Woman Behind the Business, Welcome to My Life
Now that you've had a chance to watch the video and get a little glimpse into my life, I'd like to tell you a little more.... My name is April Vargo and here's my story:
- I've always been a pretty theatrical person. I started my formal music and theatre training in kindergarten (roughly 1990) studying piano, flute, voice, and acting throughout the years.
- I studied with teachers and mentors who would help me grow musically, personally, and professionally. (A good teacher should be able to do all three)
- I was a member of the Glen Ellyn Children's Choir (now known as Anima) in the Touring Chorus. This was one of my first opportunities to tour and perform. Performance opportunities included NYC at Carnegie Hall, Minnesota, Chicago, Newfoundland / Canada.
- I have performed in Marching Bands, Concert Bands, Choirs, and with various Theatre Departments.
- I attended St. Norbert College being awarded both a Music and Academic Scholarship.
- As part of the Wind Ensemble, I toured Austria, Hungary, and the Czech Republic.
- I had the amazing opportunity to study abroad in Sicily
- In 2008 I received my Bachelors Degree in Music Education from St. Norbert College
- I worked in education in a traditional classroom setting for 8 consecutive years, in three different schools serving suburban, rural, and urban students grades K-12.
- I have taught choir, general music, theatre, and a 2nd Grade classroom
- My students have performed in theatre productions, choir concerts, at baseball games, and celebrations at the Brookfield Zoo, and The Field Museum.
- I have developed curriculum, created and implemented music and theatre programs from the ground up, produced theatrical productions, and created community outreach events.
- In 2016 I left the traditional classroom to open Play.Sing.Act, LLC - A Virtual School for the Performing Arts. The goal was to create the opportunity for anyone to participate in music and theatre programs regardless of location. The stipulation is that the interested student has to have a passion for the performing arts and a willingness to learn.
- My students range in age from children through adults. Their ability levels are complete beginners to professionals working the field.
- My students can be found all throughout the US, Canada, Singapore, South Korea, Australia, Africa, and continue to grow.
- I teach private lessons, group classes, have partnerships with other organizations, and have started speaking publicly
- In June of 2018 I spoke at the International Music Education Summit
I freelance as a director for live theatre productions....my recent works include:
- Beauty and the Beast
- Leading Ladies
- Legally Blonde
- Sleeping Beauty
- A Christmas Story the Musical (Coming this Fall)
- In addition to teaching and coaching music and theatre, I have started coaching individuals on self-confidence techniques (something that many performers are constantly working on, and something that people need / use in their everyday lives). I also coach young and upcoming entrepreneurs who would like to one day open their own businesses.
- I would love to expand my global footprint while continuing to take on additional students.
- I am on the look-out for additional public speaking opportunities
- I would like to start the process of writing a book
When I'm not working, I love:
- Spending time with my husband, family, and friends
- Renovating our house
- Fashion / Shopping
- Meeting new people